Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Think, Think, Think...

"I think therefore I am." Descartes' statement could spell trouble for many of us. How long has it been since you've taken the time to sit and contemplate? I know for me it happens much too seldom. Pondering can put life into perspective, open pathways to knowledge and enhance spiritual progress. In our busy lives who has time to sit and think? We all do if we take advantage of some common situations.
 -Turn off the car radio, cause you can't hear yourself think with Rush blaring in the background.
 -Get up a few minutes early and take a walk without the headphones.
 -Do the dishes, no one will bother you then.
-Last but not least, turn off the TV, or better yet, throw it out.
 Thoreau fled the city, taking to the woods so he could truly live his life. He found life there to be splendid because the lack of noise and hurry allowed him to think. We may not be able to actually flee civilization, but with a tweak to our daily habits we can go to the wilderness in our minds and drink from the well of knowledge we will find there.

2 comments:

  1. Great post Dan. My wife is always telling me to turn the radio off. I will try to do that more because, as I think about it, I really do have alot to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just identified the reason I fly fish.

    ReplyDelete