Sunday, July 29, 2012

Don't Put Off 'Til Tomorrow What Should Have Been Done Yesterday

The past few weeks I have been re-staining my log home. This is one of those jobs that I have been putting off for a while until finally I couldn't wait any longer or there would have been lasting damage done to my home. Now, I like to build things and I get real satisfaction from it, but painting never has done much for me, hence the procrastination. This monotonous job has given me a little time to think and I have been able to draw some parallels from this project to my life. The first is that I can put important things off only so long. People seem to think that we can neglect ourselves and no one will notice. When we seek to hide our lack of growth or avoid the work it takes to improve, justifying ourselves in our lack of effort, we tend to magnify our problems. The second is that once I have let something go too long without correction it takes a lot of hard work to put myself back into shape. A great example of this in my life is my tendency to eat wrong and not exercise. It is so easy to do this, requiring no effort. On the other hand, to eat right and get myself into good physical shape is such hard work! Getting myself into good mental and spiritual shape can be even harder. This requires hard work as well. The rewards for doing so are awesome. I love the feeling of being a well honed instrument when I keep myself in good physical, mental and spiritual shape. So, let's stop putting off the inevitable and begin the work it will take to improve ourselves, the reward will be awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment