Monday, November 11, 2013

If you have to use lies and deceipt, how good can it be?

What are the first words that come to mind when you think of a used car salesman? Lies? Deceit? Dishonesty? If any of my readers are used car salesman, I apologize up front for using this generalization, but I use it to make a point. Many of us would use these words to describe this profession because we have been hoodwinked by not so honest sales people.

I don't know why they feel they have to lie or deceive us to sell their product. Do they feel that it is inferior? Are they so unsure of their ability? Do they want to intentionally deceive us because they know their product is bad?

I have had all these thoughts these past weeks when I have watched the debacle surrounding the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare.) Now, to be honest with you I have never been a big fan of the Act, but I thought that those on the other side of the aisle had good intentions when they pushed it through.

Now after the admissions of deceit by our President I am having very big doubts about the merits of the legislation. Were the promoters of this law so unsure of their foundation that they thought they had to lie to us? If they knew that it was a lemon, why push it on us? What was their motive?

Whatever that motive was, they have lost the trust of the American People. How can we ever trust that whatever they tell us is true? How do we know that it is not some new way to deceive us into supporting yet another bad law? Have we sunk so low that we would do anything to forward our agenda?

I really try to stay positive here with my thoughts but this has been on my mind all week. We need to ask the question, "What other lies have we been told?" If our government reflects the values of the people, have we become a nation of liars? If so, then we are in real trouble. If not and we have elected some bad apples, then we need to hold them accountable and move forward. We can't just let this slide or be swept under the rug. If we do it now it will keep getting worse.

I don't know about you, but I don't want to live in a country whose government feels that they have to use lies to keep us happy. Anything built on a lie will fall because more lies must be told to keep up the facade.  As citizens we need to demand accountability. This one can't be swept under the rug. If we allow this, many of our elected officials may see this as a way to get things done. I shudder at the thought of this kind of future.

If you feel the same I would invite you to do something. Write your Congressmen and demand accountability, write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper, get the message out that this is not acceptable. As Margaret Mead said; "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."

No comments:

Post a Comment